Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Buy Side Readers

I graduated early from Northwestern University in December 2010.  There's really nothing I enjoy more than reading, writing, and thinking about stocks and business.  I want to wait to find a job that won't feel like one rather than rush into something.  I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to be patient, let my work speak for itself, and know that the right people will find me.  My short term goal is to work at a buy side firm with a value bent where I can work with great people and continue to learn.  I'm passionate about this stuff, self-motivated, and self-taught.

Here are 4 write-ups that should give you a good idea of what I'm about:

I'm looking for somewhere that I'd be surrounded with humble and ambitious investors willing to be mentors and colleagues.  I want to work somewhere conducive to turning over tons of rocks and just waiting for the right price or opportunity.  I assume Ben Graham isn't reading this, but if you are a similarly passionate person about investing, I'd love to work with you.

Margin of Safety is probably my investing bible and what has informed my approach over the years among pretty much any other book recommended by investors I admire (all the usual suspects).  Clearly Warren Buffett has been a major influence and I have taken his advice to heart about doing what you love, cultivating the right habits, and trying to copy the actions of those you admire.  I enjoy sitting on my ass, reading, and thinking.  I always ask myself "what if I'm wrong?" because that's what really matters, not convincing myself how right I may be.  I taught myself everything from opening up books and 10-k's, reverse engineering ideas, and just being willing to work on something until I thought I understood it.  I have tried to internalize most of the ideas of value investing in my mind and don't treat it like some derivative action I mimic from a textbook.

Don't hesitate to shoot me an email.  I'm fairly mobile and open to relocating.  I'm a Value Investor's Club member, which is a decent credential for a kid of otherwise lackluster credentials.  They let me in, so it can't be that impressive.  According to a Value Investor Insight interview with Greenblatt from 2006, if you get in, you would get an A+ in his class in the MBA program at Columbia.  I don't have an MBA though, so I offer some great relative value in that respect.

For thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment