Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Tim McElvaine - An investor I admire

Tim McElvaine is a Canadian value investor who I admire. He isn’t running a huge amount of money and the fund is only open to Canadians. I found out about him via ControlledGreed a while back and have followed him ever since. You can read more about him through media links on his own website. What I would specifically like to highlight is his ABBA investment strategy, which is essentially a Ben Graham strategy with additions similar to Seth Klarman or Warren Buffett in the 70s. I like to look at what each of the four letters stand for every time I need to regain my focus in analyzing a company. I recommend downloading the PDF version of the ABBA document and keeping it on your desk. It is a very good description at the variables that an investor should be further analyzing when looking at a business. It is a fantastic refresher every time I sit down.

McElvaine shares some investing picks on his website and simultaneously demonstrates the ABBA analysis. Being able to look at his method and what it produces is a good indicator of the quality of McElvaine’s investing ability, which I rate as very high. I find these two picks to be interesting. The first is Glacier Media, and the second is TimberWest Forest Corp. I don't have anything to add to his analysis, but I like what I have read.

Talk to Andrew about investors you admire (other than Andrew, of course)

No comments:

Post a Comment