Friday, January 7, 2011

A good list of stocks to research

Now that Oozing Alpha is going behind a pay wall, a great source of info on post reorg equities, spin offs, and special situations is going off my list of resources. Thankfully, Hunter at Distressed Debt Investing just posted this list which contains the names of companies that defaulted in 2010. There are a couple names that stick out such as RHI Entertainment, a name that Seth Klarman had a position in prior to the bankruptcy. Neenah Foundry is a familiar name that I would constantly see on man hole lids in the Chicago area, and for some reason the name has stuck with me. As Hunter mentions, some of these companies already have listed shares. I hope to look at these in the near future for ideas.
And while I'm on the subject of investing resources, I would like to highlight this screen, a Ben Graham NCAV screener. This is a great screen and highlights one of the statistically successful strategies an investor can employ as Tweedy Browne's What Has Worked In Investing paper discusses, among other strategies. This screen is something I notice coincides with a lot of stocks highlighted on Barel Karsan, although they are by no means identical. The screen is usually composed of pretty distressed companies, but at the point where the price is closer to its liquidation value than its value as a going concern. Cherry picking companies that are still healthy can be a profitable strategy. I will be giving an in depth look at a company that is on this screen over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment